Best Electric Roaster Oven – Consumer Reports
Everyone craves the delicious taste of a flavorful roasted chicken or turkey. Yes, you can buy one at the store, but wouldn’t it be great to get that same taste at home? When you own a good-quality roaster, not only can you roast flavorful meats, but you can also make soup, stews, and desserts!
It can be a lot of fun to try out new recipes and create meals like a professional chef without going through all the training. With an adjustable temperature setting, an electric roaster oven can offer the capacity to cook your Thanksgiving turkey as well as bake bread and cookies. It’s important to decide what you will be using your roaster oven to make, so that you can ensure it has the features and settings to cook that type of food. Here are a few tips and reviews to help you find the best electric roaster oven for your next holiday meal.
Considerations When Choosing an Electric Roaster Oven
Obviously, an electric roaster oven operates differently from a traditional oven. While both are ovens, they don’t both operate the same way. It’s important to know the differences between the two, which allows you to determine which is better for you.
Cooking Mechanism – Between the two, the largest difference is the mechanism they use to operate. With a traditional oven, a box of heat is created that surrounds the food that it is cooking. With a roaster oven, you have an enclosed heating element, which is responsible for providing even heat distribution.
Temperature Range – With a traditional oven, the temperature will range between 150- and 500-degrees Fahrenheit. However, a roaster oven will have a temperature range between 250- and 450-degrees Fahrenheit.
Moisture – Providing moisture is the feature that the electric roaster oven will win over your traditional oven. When food is cooked in a traditional oven, you have a higher chance that your roast will be dry. Not in an electric roaster oven. There, moisture will be trapped as steam and used to keep the roast juicy and moist.
Energy Consumption – When comparing the two, an electric roaster oven is more energy efficient. Since it is smaller, it will also heat faster and use less energy as a result. Plus, there is also heat that is trapped inside making the cooking process go faster.
- The Best Milk Steamer/Frother – Take Your Coffee to the Next Level
- The Best Copper Core Cookware of 2021
- The Best Food Warmer for Car – Portable Food Warmer Reviews
- The Best Grill Press – A Must-Have in a Kitchen
- The Best Grill Pan for Gas Stove – Unbiased Reviews
Choosing the Best Roaster Oven
Depending on how large your household is, your roaster should be able to accommodate it without being too small or too large. If you entertain a lot of have a larger family, you will want a larger capacity roaster as opposed to someone with a smaller sized family that doesn’t entertain often.
The feature that makes this appliance versatile is the temperature range. You need a variety of temperature options in order to cook different types of food. The max for most electric roaster ovens is 450 degrees Fahrenheit, but it should have a knob that allows you t adjust the temperature.
One of the more important parts of the roaster will be the removable cover. The best type of lid is a dome shape that can accommodate a large piece of meat. You also want the lid to have a tight seal that won’t allow steam to escape. The lid should also have a coating that creates better heat efficiency.
The material the roaster is made out of will impact the performance and durability of the electric roaster oven. Typically, you will see roasters made of stainless steel, but the pan is usually made out of enamel, which can evenly distribute heat and cook a roast more consistently.
Many roasters can do more than just cook a roast. Some roaster also works as a rotisserie oven and others can bake bread and cookies. Depending on what you plan to use it for, make sure it has the features and functions that will cook the foods you want. You can even find some roasters that you can use as a buffet serving tray allowing you to bring your food right to the table.
If you plan to leave your roaster out often or take it to parties, the style or aesthetics can be an important consideration. Obviously, you want to look for something you find attractive that you can use as a decorative piece on your countertop. Otherwise, you may just want to hide the roaster when you don’t need to use it.
Tips for Operating an Electric Roaster Oven
When you first get an electric roaster oven, you may want to find out the best way to use it and how to keep a roast moist and flavorful. Here are a few tips to help you make the best tasting food with your electric roaster oven.
• Do not put the roast or any type of meat directly into the roaster. Make sure you put it on a rack that is raised up slightly off the pan’s bottom. This stops the roast from getting soaked in its own fat.
• Make sure you use a meat thermometer. This handy tool instantly turns you into a professional when you cook. This is an easy tool that you just stick into the thickest piece of the roast to make sure that it is cooked properly.
• Allow the roast to sit for about an hour after you take it out of the freezer. It is important to not immediately roast any meat until it is at room temperature. Then, when season it before putting it on the cooking rack to make it more flavorful.
• On the pan or rack’s bottom, place a layer of potatoes or your favorite vegetables to give your roast more flavor, and stop the skin from becoming sloppy and soggy.
• If you want your roast to be more flavorful and have a brown ski, you need to add fat to the meat. Olive oil or butter are good choices, but make sure you don’t overdo it and ruin the meat’s flavor.
• You also want to make sure you don’t eat the roast straight out of the roaster oven. You want to give the meat some time to rest and allow the juices to run off the roast and become fully extracted to make it the most flavorful.
The Best Electric Roaster Oven
This 22-quart roaster oven with a self-basting lid that allows it to maintain the moisture of the food and keep it nutritious and tasting delicious. Thanks to the self-basting lid, this unit will save energy, heat, and time to produce an incredible meal. You not only save 30 percent of your time when cooking, but you also save up to 36 percent in energy consumption in comparison to a regular oven.
Constructed of stainless steel, the Oster CKSTRS23-SB is perfect to use for large holiday meals or any other special occasion. It features an enamel-on-steel roasting pan that you can remove as well as a steel roasting rack. You can also control the cooking temperature on this unit to range between 150°F and 450°F to provide the perfect amount of heat.
Featuring a large capacity, the Oster CKSTRS23-SB is one of the best turkey roasters on the market today. Not only does it save you time and energy, but it also frees up the oven and allows you to cook other parts of the meal at the same time.
- It saves you time and money on your energy bill
- You can cook sides and desserts
- It has a very large capacity
- It doesn’t come with a self-timer feature
- You can’t use cooking bags inside it as they will melt
Featuring a 16-quart capacity the Oster CKSTRS16-WSB is a self-basting roaster oven that can roast up to a 20-pound turkey. It gives you 1450 watts along with a 24-inch cord length. This is a large electric roaster that also has the versatility to cook different foods with its flexible cooking options.
Equipped with an even heat distribution feature, this roaster helps to create perfectly cooked meals. Featuring several cooking modes, the Oster CKSTRS16-SCB can bake and slow cook as well as keep food hot for serving with its warm setting. This roaster also has a design that helps you to save up to 30 percent of your cooking time and 36 percent of your energy consumption in comparison to a typical oven.
Super easy to clean, the Oster CKSTRS16-SCB is a great addition to your kitchen, especially when you consider its versatility. You won’t have to worry about manually basting any more thanks to its self-basting lid and its truly convenient design.
- It has an affordable price and small footprint
- This is a very versatile roaster you can also bake in
- You never have to baste a turnkey again
- There isn’t any temperature control
- You can’t get it to smoke meat slowly at a low temperature
Able to cook a 24-pound turkey, the Proctor Silex 32191 Roaster Oven is a great way to make holiday meals or food for any special event. This is a best-rated roaster that can cook food faster than a traditional oven. Plus, this roaster is also a great way to bake cakes and bread or make other types of dessert.
With an 18-quart capacity, the Proctor Silex 32191 Roaster Oven can road ham, beef, and chicken. Equipped with an enamel-on-steel pan and roasting rack that is removable, you can easily lift out the roast when it’s ready. Weighing only 12 ½ pounds, this oval-shaped roaster oven has a small footprint making it super portable.
This roaster also has an attractive design allowing it to complement your kitchen décor when you use it for countertop cooking or at special events. Ideal for stews, soups, and side dishes, the Proctor Silex 32191 Roaster Oven is also easy to clean, which frees up more of your time. Making the whole cooking experience faster and easier, this roaster oven is versatile and easy to use.
- This is a handy roaster that is super portable
- Your whole kitchen won’t get hot when you use this roaster instead of the oven
- It’s a great piece of equipment for parties
- The lid isn’t see through
- It doesn’t brown meat well
Offering hassle-free roasting, the Rivel RO180 Roaster Oven has an 18-quart capacity and measures 23 x 17 x -inches. Able to accommodate larger pieces of meat, you can actually roast an 18-pound turkey in it. Super handy and versatile, you can also use the Rival RO180 to serve food out of.
Featuring a temperature control with a dial set, the temperature can range between 150°F and 450°F allowing you to find the ideal heat for what you are cooking. The Rival RO180 also comes with side handles that stay cool to protect your hands from getting burned. With the enamel-on-steel pan, you get fast cooking thanks to heat that is evenly distributed and roasts food to perfection.
Easy to clean, the Rival RO180 will also save you on cooking time and consumers up to 36 percent less energy. The large cooking capacity is great for holidays and parties where you need to feed a lot of people.
- This is a super easy to clean appliance
- It is super handy for parties and holidays
- It distributes heat evenly for perfectly cooked food
- The cord is too short
- The outside gets super hot
This professional-level roaster oven has an 18-quart capacity and a unique “Circle of Heat” feature that cooks food from the side and not the bottom. With this feature, food will remain moist and retain all that delicious flavor. And, with the Nesco 481825PR Roaster Oven’s large capacity, you can roast a turkey up to 22 pounds.
Not only can you roast with this unit, but you can also bake pies, cakes, and cookies. The Nesco 481825PR Roaster Oven is a super versatile appliance that is great for stews and soups thanks to its adjustable temperature that can be set between 200ºF and 450ºF. This is an easy to storage and clean unit that is also very portable when you need to take it to parties.
Both the lid and body are made out of stainless steel, and the appliance offers 1425-watt usage. Thanks to its easy to use design, the Nesco 481825PR Roaster Oven is also easy to insert and lift items out of, plus it comes with a buffet serving kit, which can be handy at holidays and family parties.
- This is a very portable appliance to take to parties
- It is durable and easy to store and clean
- You can easily lift large roasts out of it
- The outside gets super hot
- It doesn’t have a non-stick pan
Capable of baking and roasting, the Oster CKSTRS18-BSB Roaster Oven is versatile and easy to use. It features an 18-quart capacity, which allows you to cook a 22-pound turkey. This convenient appliance will help you perfectly roast food while freeing up your oven to cook other parts of your meal.
This hassle-free appliance frees you from having to manually baste meat saving you up to 30 percent of your time in the kitchen. It also helps to reduce your energy bill by 36 percent. Super-efficient, this electric roaster is also equipped with a temperature control range between 150°F and 450°F, which allows you to cook all sorts of food.
Equipped with a 24-inch cord, the Oster CKSTRS18-BSB Roaster Oven gives you 1450 watts and measures 23.3 x 15.6 x 11.2-inches, so it won’t take up a lot of counter space. This appliance is a great cost-cutting addition to any kitchen that will cook food fast without using up a lot of energy.
- It helps to save you money on your electric bill
- This is a versatile roaster that will make lots of different foods
- You won’t have to manually baste a turkey when you use this appliance
- The lid isn’t easy to keep in place
- The knob is very easy to knock into and turn without knowing you did it
Offering 1450 watts, the Weston 03-4000-W Roaster Oven has an 18-quart capacity that can fit an 18-pound turkey. While it’s not the larger roaster on the market, it features an incredible and hassle-free cooking performance for a good price. Plus, it has an adjustable temperature feature that can be set up to 450ºF allowing you the versatility to cook different types of food.
Perfect for special occasions and holidays, the Weston 03-4000-W Roaster Oven is flexible and versatile. You can use it for both baking and roasting as well as keeping food warm until it is time to serve it. Easy to use, this hassle-free roaster will create delicious meals and desserts for any type of meal.
- It’s versatile and flexible, so it can cook any type of food
- It has an adjustable temperature
- You can bake and roast with it
- It takes up a lot of counter space
- It doesn’t have a feature that tells you when it’s done preheating
Featuring a carbon steel core, the Granite Ware 0509-2 Oval Roaster is efficient and safe to use. Reducing the use of energy, this roaster has a non-stick porcelain enamel surface making it super easy to clean. Capable of roasting a 15-pound turkey, this is a very durable appliance that allows you to safely use metal utensils as you cook.
Using no harmful chemicals, this is a dishwasher safe appliance. The carbon steel center evenly distributes heat as the roaster operates creating food that has been perfectly cooked. The Granite Ware 0509-2 Oval Roaster also has handles that are built to hold the weight of the food that you are cooking.
The cover on the Granit Ware 0509-2 Oval Roaster can also separately serve as an open roaster. More durable than stainless steel roaster, this appliance is also super efficient and safer than other roasters on the market. Not only does it cook delicious food, but it also helps you to maximize on your cooking experience.
- It is very efficient and safe to use
- You can wash it in the dishwasher
- It’s durable enough that you can use metal utensils in it
- The lid doesn’t fit very well
- The roaster isn’t tall enough for a ham or turkey
Made out of stainless steel, the Proctor Silex 32230A Roaster Oven has a 22-quart roasting capacity. Perfect for creating large meals, this is a great appliance for special events and family holidays. It can roast and bake making it a handy addition to your kitchen.
Easy to use, this roaster can also keep food hot until you are ready to serve it. The Proctor Silex 32230A Roaster Oven features a removable pan, which provides evenly distributed heat and also makes it easier and faster to clean it. With its easy to lift out track, this appliance is easy to insert and remove food out of, especially larger pieces of meat.
Helping to save the use of your oven, this roaster can easily cook a turkey. the Proctor Silex 32230A Roaster Oven is also a handy way to cook side dishes or desserts. Durable and versatile, this appliance allows you to cook more efficiently and effectively.
- It can cook a good-sized turkey
- You can make desserts and side dishes in it
- It’s versatile and durable
- There aren’t buffet inserts for it
- It doesn’t have a preheat indicator
The Nutrichef Rotisserie Oven is a multi-functional oven that can work as a broiler, roaster, or rotisserie. Featuring a sleek design, this vertical countertop oven is equipped with adjustable settings and double shelves. Saving both time and energy, this appliance is versatile enough to be the perfect oven for any household.
With a unique design, the Nutrichef Rotisserie Oven has an attractive look as it sits on your counter, and it has a good design for roasting turkeys and kebobs. With its large oven capacity and double shelves, you can cook several types of food at the same time. This high-powered roaster also ensures fast cooking.
Allowing you to broil, roast, and bake, this energy-efficient roaster uses high-powered heating elements that will make sure your food is cooked quickly. Equipped with a heat-resistant glass door, the Nutrichef Rotisserie Oven is also stain-resistant and comes with adjustable temperature and time settings. This easy to use roaster also comes with a skewer rack, grill rack, and baking pan.
- This is a lightweight roaster that comes with a lot of accessories
- Its sleek design offers hassle-free cooking
- It’s super easy to clean
- The cord is too short
- The front of the oven is pretty heavy
How Do You Use a Roaster Oven
Using an electric roaster oven is pretty simple. This is not a complicated appliance that you should be able to operate easily.
• When using a roaster oven for the very first time, make sure you wash it well to remove any dirt that may change the aroma and flavor of what you are about to cook.
• Plug in the electric roaster oven and then choose a temperature that is correct for the recipe you are making. Typically, 350 degrees Fahrenheit is high enough for most recipes.
• Prepare the roast in the cooking rack that you will find on the top of the roasting pan and then put it in the roaster when it is ready.
• Place the lid on the electric roaster oven and then wait until the roast is finished cooking. Try to avoid opening up the lid as that will let steam escape and interrupt the cooking process. When the steam is trapped inside, it makes the roast moisture and more flavorful.
How to Maintain a Roaster Oven
It’s important that you take the proper care of your electric roaster oven. If you don’t, the performance of the roaster will suffer, and you won’t have it long. Here are a few tips to ensure that your roaster oven is well-maintained:
• Make sure you clean it each time you use it, particularly the rack and pan. The longer you let fat and juice sit on the surface, the more difficult it will be to remove them.
• When you clean the inside of the electric roaster oven, don’t soak it in water since the electrical parts can be damaged by the water exposure. Just use a mild soap and damp cloth to remove the oil and gunk build-up.
• However, when cleaning the pans and racks, you can soak these parts of the roaster in water and use a mild dish soap. Make sure you don’t use a chemical-like soap that can affect the aroma and flavor of your food.
Owning an electric roaster oven can give you a lot of versatility when it comes to making family and holiday meals. Make sure you get one that has the right capacity for your needs, is easy to clean, and has an adjustable temperature setting to give you the versatility you are looking for to make incredible tasting stews, roasts, turkeys, and desserts that your family will love.