The Best Crab Steamer Pot – Make a Great Seafood Boil
Anyone that loves the taste of freshly cooked seafood needs to invest in a crab pot. While making lobster or seafood boils can seem rather daunting, it’s not that hard. With a good crab pot, you should have the versatility to not only steam seafood, but also create wonderful stews and soups for your family. And, if you do a lot of entertaining, it’s a great way to make a big batch of food, especially outdoors. Here are a few tips and reviews to help you find the best crab steamer pot for your next outdoor party.
- The Best Chinese Cleaver – Get a Superior Piece of Cutlery for Your Kitchen
- The Best Vacuum Marinator – The Quickest Way to Marinate Meat
- The Best Electric Knife Sharpener – Consumer Reports
- The Best French Fry Cutters for Sweet Potatoes – Buying Guide
- The Best Rotary Egg Beaters for Your Kitchen in 2021
Equipped with a lid and steamer rack, the GasOne ST-32 Crab Pot is made of stainless steel and holds up to eight gallons. With a one-millimeter thickness, this crab pot can be used to cook crabs, crawfish, dumplings, and tamales. Attractive and durable, this crab pot is a reliable tool to use to cook a variety of different foods.
Whether you are boiling peanuts or home brewing, the GasOne ST-32 includes a steamer rack, which is perfect for keeping food off the bottom of the pot. Made with high-quality stainless steel, this is a long-lasting pot with great heat conduction. It’s also super easy to clean.
Thicker and sturdier than other crab pots on the market, the GasOne ST-32 uses commercial-grade material in its construction. With its satin finish, this crab pot has a sleek and classy look that will not rust, stain, or scuff. Ensuring even levels of heat as you cook, this crab pot keeps in moisture and has a fast boiling and cooking speed.
- It is sturdy and durable as well as easy to clean
- This pot is super versatile and cooks lots of different food
- The stainless-steel material is a great heat conductor
- The handles aren’t very strong
- No gallon markers on the pot
This 24-quart stockpot is made of stainless steel and is perfect for outdoor cooking. Equipped with a basket, you can easily cook pasta and blanch fresh vegetables in the Bayou Classic 1124 thanks to the small holes in its design. You can also use the basket to steam or boil shrimp, vegetables, cord, and seafood as well as fry hush puppies, fries, onions, chicken, and fish.
If you are into home brewing, this pot is perfect for making your own delicious brews. The Bayou Classic 1124 has a 24-quart capacity and is made with commercial-grade, high gauge stainless steel. With an indention that will hold the basket off the bottom, this pot designed makes it a great steamer by leaving around three inches at the bottom for creating steam. Equipped with welded handles and a flat lid, Bayou Classic 24 Quart Stainless Steel Stock Pot is a great choice for tailgating and backyard parties.
- It’s a great steamer
- The large size of the pot is great when cooking for large groups
- It’s constructed of commercial-grade stainless steel
- The bottom of the pot isn’t very thick
- It’s not a flat pot
The 36-quart King Kooker KK36SR is a ridged stainless steel pot that only weighs 12 ½ pounds. Capable of steaming and boiling vegetables, tamales, and seafood, this crab pot comes with a steam rim making it capable of cooking for any large group or gathering. Versatile and easy to clean, this is a great pot to have if you live along the coast or steam and boil food a lot.
Featuring a high-quality construction, the King Kooker KK36SR comes equipped with lids and punched stainless steel baskets. This stainless-steel pot is easy to use, cooks well, and cleans up easily. Plus, the precisely fitting lids will keep your food warm while also preventing spills and splatter.
- This is an easy to use and clean pot
- The lid fits nice and tight
- Its large size makes it great for parties
- It’s not very heavy-duty
- The walls aren’t very thick
Sold as a three-piece set, the Norpro 573 is made of stainless steel and can be used as a steamer, stockpot, or vertical cooker. Equipped with a steamer rack and tempered glass lid with vents, this is a great pot for shellfish, crab legs, asparagus, carrots, cauliflower, broccoli, and corn. This pot measures ten inches tall and can hold up to three quarts.
Constructed of durable stainless steel, the Norpro 573 has an attractive and modern look with its classic mirrored finish. Food will not stick to this pot, plus this sturdy pot holds heat in well as your food cooks. This pot makes it easy to cook perfect sauces, seafood, and vegetables.
- It has an attractive modern design
- Food doesn’t stick to it
- You can use it to cook lots of different types of food
- The bottom isn’t very thick
- The basket lets food fall through
Durable and versatile, the IMUSA Aluminum Tamale and Steamer Pot is a great choice if you do a lot of large-batch cooking. It can be used for pasta, sauces, lentils, beans, stock, and soup, and it’s even large enough for a lobster boil or to cook a large quantity of corn on the cob. Made of durable aluminum, this large capacity pot will last you many years.
Featuring double side handles and a removable steamer insert rack, this is an easy to use pot, which is also easy to clean. The IMUSA Aluminum Tamale and Steamer Pot also come with a matching aluminum lid with handle. Without the insert, this pot can double as a stockpot, and you can use the steamer insert as a serving dish.
- This is a large capacity pot made of durable aluminum
- It’s pretty versatile and cooks lots of different dishes
- You can use the serving dish as a steamer insert
- It stains easily
- It sheds gray coloring onto scrub brushes
Featuring a 32-quart capacity, the Vasconia Aluminum Steamer comes with a lid and a steamer rack. This is an extra-large steamer that is ideal for cooking seafood, tamales, or corn. Easy to clean, you can run this pot in the dishwasher along with your other dishes.
With its lid knob and stay-cool handles, the Vasconia Aluminum Steamer can also be used as an over-sized stockpot for soups and stews. This is an easy to clean pot that can be washed in the dishwasher.
- It has an extra-large capacity
- The pot comes with stay-cool handles
- It is easy to clean and dishwasher safe
- The surface tends to stain
- You can’t remove the sticker on it
Equipped with a perforated strainer basket set, the Chard Aluminum Stock Pot has a 42-quart capacity making it a great addition to your backyard cooking equipment. Made with no-rust aluminum, this stockpot comes with a recessed, vented cover that will release steam but keep food warm until you are ready to eat. Plus, the heavy-duty riveted side handles give you safe and secure movement and handling.
The Chard Aluminum Stock Pot is ideal for cooking pasta, oysters, clams, lobsters, and fish boils. The included perforated strainer basket features ½-inch diameter holes that allow for fast draining. This stockpot is versatile enough for brewing, boiling, steaming, and frying.
- This is a heavy-duty stockpot
- The strainer basket drains super quickly
- It’s pretty versatile and very reliable
- The metal is very thin
- The lid doesn’t fit well
This professional-grade boiling pot has an 80-quart capacity and all-purpose design. The Houston Seafood Boiling Pot is made with a heavy-duty aluminum gauge that is versatile enough to pretty much cook any type of food you want. This pot can handle gumbo, frying turkeys, fish fries, crabs, lobsters, crawfish, and seafood boils.
The Houston Seafood Boiling Pot also comes with a 12-quart stockpot that is perfect for cooking beans, pasta, and vegetables. If you throw backyard parties or like to tailgate, this Houston Seafood Boiling Pot is capable of holding up to 45 pounds of shellfish, so cooking mussels, crawfish, clams, shrimp, Alaskan King Crab Legs, and Maine Lobster is a breeze.
This heavy gauge aluminum boiling pot also comes with a strainer basket and a lid that features riveted handles for added durability and strength. The Houston Seafood Boiling Pot can be used anywhere thanks to its durable but lightweight aluminum construction that gives you the flexibility to pretty much cook anywhere.
- You can pretty much use it anywhere
- It comes with an additional stockpot
- It’s versatile and durable
- The strainer is too small for the pot
- The metal is rather thin
The Concord Stock Pot is made with 100 percent stainless steel with no aluminum included in the product. It has a super high capacity of 53 quarts and can be used for any type of event or party. Plus, its commercial-grade quality makes it suitable for use in a restaurant.
This pot also works really well as a steamer thank to its strainer basket that stand 1 ½-inches off the bottom of the pot. All you have to do is leave the shells on as you steam your crab legs, lobster, crawfish, and shrimp, which gives the seafood more insulation from the direct heat. While steaming takes a little longer, you get more tender and tastier meat.
The Concord Stock Pot is a heavy-duty pot that can also be used as a boiler or deep fryer. Large enough for a turkey, duck, or chick, this Concord Stock Pot has an easy to remove heavy-gauge straining basket. Ideal for beach parties and outdoor camping, you can place this pot right on a burner and it’s ready to go.
Fully polished, the commercial-grade stockpot stands 15 ½ -inches high and 16 ¼-inches wide. The Concord Stock Pot is ideal for holiday cooking with its versatile and durable design.
- It’s a commercial-grade product
- This is a very durable and versatile crab pot
- It has a nice size capacity for parties
- It’s hard to lift when it’s full
- Some users found it too tall
This extra-large crab pot has a 42-quart capacity making it a great choice when you have a lot of mouths to feed. This is a multi-purpose pot that can be used as a steamer or stockpot. The Ballington Stock Pot is made with durable stainless steel and comes with a list and basket.
The deep steamer basket insert allows you to cook in large batches and is perfect for steaming vegetables and seafood. You can also use the Ballington Stock Pot for cooking tamales and crabs or make chili, stew, soup, and stock.
Made with heavy-duty stainless steel, the Ballington Stock Pot is a commercial-grade pot that you can also brew beer in. if you like fried food, you’re in luck because this pot can also fry you favorites like hush puppies, chicken, and fish, plus, the tight-fitting lid keeps food warm while also preventing spills.
- You can fry, steam, and boil food
- It’s a commercial-grade product
- You can cook food in large batches
- It rusts easily
Considerations Before Choosing a Crab Steamer Pot
- Price – A crab steamer or boiler really isn’t that an expensive pot to have in your kitchen. This is due to the fact that it is a dual container that is made of some non-corrosive metals that won’t react to water when it boils. Typically, you’ll find a crab pot’s price range to fall between $20 and $80. Keep in mind that non-stick models will have a higher price tag.
- Warranty – When you buy a crab pot, you want a model that has a warranty that will last at least a year or two. This ensures that you have enough time in the warranty to cover any manufacturer’s problems with the pot, that you can return it, or have it replaced.
- Safety – You want to make sure you won’t get hurt using the crab pot, so it’s important that it has some safety features. Your crab pot should not be made with a flimsy type of material that cannot withstand the pressure of steam. So, make sure you do your research and see what other users have had to say about the model and the manufacturer.
- Easy to Clean – Cleaning can be a huge problem, so it’s important to find a crab pot that is easy to clean. Not only should it and all its components be simple to clean, but it also helps if you can wash it in the dishwasher.
- Cook Time – Depending on your preferences, you may prefer cooking slow or fast. The type of pot you get should reflect your cooking style. Make sure that you buy a crab pot that uses material that will either cook quickly or slowly because if the material of the pot is good, you won’t have to worry about how evenly it cooks.
Features to Look for in the Best Crab Pot
- Capacity – What capacity you need depends on how much you plan to cook. If you only want to cook one lobster at a time, then you will need a smaller crab pot than if you planned to cook four at a time. Always keep in mind that when you cook clams, crawfish, crab, and lobster that you want them all ready to eat at the same time to maximize on their flavor.
It’s also a good rule of thumb to get a pot that is larger than what you really need just to make sure that you have one big enough. But you also want to make sure that it will fit on the stove or heat source your plant to cook on.
Typically, crab pot range in size from 20 to more than 80 quarts. With a larger pot, you can easily host parties, but they can be a challenge when it comes to storage or even moving around your kitchen. Keep in mind that if you do choose a smaller pot, you won’t be able to cook for a large group of people. If you have any doubts, go for the mid-sized pot.
- Material – Available in a variety of materials, crab pots can be found in porcelain enamels, aluminum, and stainless steel while others use encapsulated disk or multi-ply designs for additional benefits.
If you are looking for a lightweight pot, look for heavy gauge aluminum. Just remember that they are not as durable and can’t withstand high temperatures like stainless steel can. A lightweight aluminum pot is super handy when full of water and food and you need to move it though. With porcelain enamel, your crab pot typically will have a steel core, however, it won’t be as thick as a stainless steel or aluminum pot limiting its versatility.
If you don’t want an aluminum crab pot, there are a few good alternatives like enameled steel, clad tri-ply aluminum and stainless steel, and enameled steel.
- Frequency of Use – Always consider how frequently you will use the crab pot before you purchase one. You don’t want to spend a lot of money that you will only steam some seafood on occasion. However, if you plan to use it frequently for many different purposes, then paying a higher price is worthwhile.
- Spigots – To help with draining, you will find a spigot at the bottom. This spigot can help you create delicious broth without having to deal with the sediment that can develop when you steam seafood. Plus, it can make it easier to empty out the pot then having to pour out the hot water from a large and heavy kettle.
- Cooking Location – Depending on where you plan to cook, you may want to refrain from buying a high-end cooker. Think about it. If you plan to use it out at the beach on a bonfire, you don’t want to use an expensive crab pot over charcoal. However, if you plan to use the pot in your kitchen or backyard, then you probably want to invest a little more into it.
For those that do want to in places where you don’t have access to a stove, consider buying a pot that comes with an attached burner or a pot that is compatible with a burner. Also, remember that many of these crab pots are just too big for a portable burner, so you may want to choose a smaller pot when you want to cook outdoors.
- Strainer – If your crab pot comes with a strainer, make sure it fits securely inside your pot without excess empty space. Some pots come with a full-size strainer while others have strainers that sit at the bottom of the pot. It’s important that your strainer either has feet or a lip to raise it above the water when you use it to steam food.
- Lid – You will either find a glass lid or a lid that is made of the same material as the crab pot. With a glass lid, you can easily check in on your food without having to remove the lid from the pot and let heat escape. However, glass lids do break easily, so if you do choose a metal lid, make sure that it has vents that stop excess steam from building up.
The winner of the best crab pot roundup is the GasOne ST-32. This stainless-steel pot is equipped with a lid and steamer rack and holds up to eight gallons. With a one-millimeter thickness, this easy to clean crab pot can be used to cook crabs, crawfish, dumplings, and tamales. Attractive and durable, this crab pot is a reliable tool to use to cook a variety of different foods.
Whether you are boiling peanuts or home brewing, the GasOne ST-32 includes a steamer rack, which is perfect for keeping food off the bottom of the pot. Made with high-quality stainless steel, this is a long-lasting pot with great heat conduction.
The GasOne ST-32 uses commercial-grade material in its construction to ensure even levels of heat as you cook. Plus, this crab pot keeps in moisture and has a fast boiling and cooking speed. The definite winner of the best crab pot roundup is the GasOne ST-32 hands down.